Yes, the correct answer was “8 hours of sleep”. Keep on reading to discover why it is important and how acupuncture can help you sleep.
– short sleep associated with weight gain. You are more hungry and more likely to binge eat when you did not get proper sleep: reference 1 reference 2 Learn how acupuncture helps you sleep.
– Stanford University and Washington Medical School have shown that poor sleep increases the levels of two Alzheimer’s-associated proteins including amyloid beta and tau. Treating sleep disorders in older adults results in a delay of Alzheimer’s by years.
– totally healthy people who had sleep restricted to 4 hours a night for 6 nights had blood glucose similar to prediabetes
– 45% increased the risk of developing or dying from HD. Losing 1 hour of sleep-related to daylight savings increases the risk of heart attack by 25%.
: prolonged sleep deprivation affects your immunity, but even one night of sleeplessness can obstruct your natural defence. Sleep deprivation may even hinder effectiveness of vaccines https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21632713
: shorter sleep means a shorter life.
. Daniel Kahneman, Nobel Prize-winning psychologist, curing insomnia can double the chances of recovery from depression.
: lack of sleep and stress both decrease testosterone levels. Testosterone is important for sexual desire in both men and women. Disturbed sleep and sleep deprivation (classified as getting less than 7 hours of sleep a night) may lead to reduced sexual energy and sexual dysfunction.
– 40% increased risk: large population studies showed that people who have less than 6 hours of sleep a night have 40% increased the risk of cancer vs people who sleep 7 or more hours. In another study, mice who had fragmented sleep developed tumours that were twice as large.
Better sleep is one of the explanations how acupuncture helps our patients to heal faster. When you are rested your body has the energy to repair itself.
Acupuncture switches off the part of the brain responsible for anxiety and insomnia. To achieve this we use specific points that promote relaxation and reduce stress.
For a good night rest every night, your melatonin needs to rhythmically fluctuate, increasing at night. Acupuncture regulates your healthy natural melatonin levels.
Feeling hyper alert before going to bed? It is very likely your sympathetic nervous system is overactive. Acupuncture helps you rest by downregulating your sympathetic nervous system.
Acupuncture increases the cerebral blood flow. As a result, it helps to restore brain regions that regulate your sleep.
Sleeping pills are not sleep. They sedate you and don’t give you the restorative natural sleep.
Studies show that acupuncture works faster, effects last longer, and it is safer than medication.
And if you have to take the sleeping pills, acupuncture can synergise. And as a bonus, it reduces the sleep medications side effects.
To sum up, acupuncture is safe, effective, and has a long-lasting effect helping you sleep 8 hours a night.