A new hope for IVF patients – Acupuncture
Are you considering IVF?
Would you like to increase your chances of conceiving with IVF and decrease the risk of ectopic pregnancy and miscarriage?
Then keep on reading. You will find information here that may save you having to go through a second, third cycle of IVF or more.
IVF plus Acupuncture = higher success rates
German researchers tried to determine the effect of acupuncture on assisted reproduction therapy (ART) success rates.
In the study half of the women received standard IVF. The other half were given acupuncture treatments before and after.
In the acupuncture group, 42.5 percent of patients became pregnant, while in the IVF-only group, 26.3% of patients conceived.
These results were reported by a reputable journal of the American Society of Reproductive Medicine “Fertility and Sterility” in April 2002.
Increased live births, reduced miscarriages and ectopic pregnancies
In October 2004 another study from USA emerged, with impressive results. In this research they not only measured the pregnancy rates of IVF, but also other aspects.
Acupuncture before and after IVF not only considerably increased the success rates, but also substantially increased live birth rates. Furthermore, it substantially reduced risk of miscarriage and ectopic pregnancies.
In February 2008 the very first systematic review/meta analysis on acupuncture and IVF has concluded acupuncture effects to be significant and clinically relevant. This has been published in British Medical Journal.
I wish I could give you the complete answer. We know that acupuncture can have a profound effect on body chemistry. It regulates, normalises the hormone balance. But the exact mechanism of these effects is still a mystery.
Various studies and other scientific literature highlighted a few ways how acupuncture may improve fertility:
- Acupuncture increases blood flow to the uterus (and increases the quality of the uterine lining)
- Helps you to relax, interferes with the mechanism of stress
- Decreases risk of miscarriage (possibly by decreasing cortisol levels and increasing blood flow)
- Decreases risk of ectopic pregnancy
- Increases blood flow to ovaries, improves the function of the ovaries to produce better quality eggs, benefits ovarian reserve
- Regulates the menstrual cycle (and its hormones) to produce a larger number of follicles
- Increases chances of triple-line pattern endometrial lining associated with good IVF outcomes
- Improves uterine receptivity (HOXA10 expression)