Transcranial direct current stimulation and transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS Therapy) are a trending subject of current studies.
The newly discovered benefits of these therapies include pain relief, treatment for sleep disorders, depression, cognitive enhancement (including speeding up learning, creativity enhancement, and improving mathematical abilities, etc.).
Are these transcranial therapies really novel? The treatment seems to be strikingly similar to scalp electroacupuncture, which we use safely and effectively for decades.
Numerous studies support scalp acupuncture for the treatment of conditions such as
- pain, complex regional pain syndrome,
- insomnia, depression, stress, post-traumatic stress disorder
- cognitive and memory enhancement, autism
- acute ischemic stroke rehabilitation and prevention, low limb dysfunction of patients with stroke, apoplectic aphasia
- Parkinson’s disease
And the cranial electro-acupuncture we offer is much more cost-effective compared to transcranial therapies
- US$300 is a cost of a typical transcranial magnetic stimulation session
- NZ$70 (US$57) cost of a typical acupuncture session in New Zealand
Brain mapping techniques are becoming cheaper and more accessible. This leads to more studies and a better understanding of the human brain. The more detail brain maps open opportunities to design new treatments for numerous other conditions transcranial current stimulation, transcranial magnetic stimulation as well as with electro-acupuncture.
The image: fibres of the White Matter